Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Advice

All my life I remember my great aunt giving unsolicited advice. It was often good advice, although sometimes I was much to young to really understand it. She and my Grandmother were very close sisters and would have dinner once a week for decades after they were married and had their own families. I hope that people look at my sister and I like I looked at them. She was the sort of woman who could say "your head looks too big with that hair cut sweetheart", and there was nothing you could do but grow it out again. I want to be her when I am older. I think that when you get to a certain age you have earned the right to say whatever you want simply because you have survived. One bit of advice she gave me when I was about 12 only just last night made real sense to me. She looked at me in all honesty in a silent room and said "Find a man that you can stand to look at over a meal. You can't just not eat breakfast the rest of your life, and make sure he is funny. You can't just have a man that looks pretty, you will get bored." My fella is pretty and I have to admit it was the reason that I ever talked to him the first place. So I am good there. I have always found him amusing but after 10 years together he can still make me laugh. Last night he was looking for a DVD he wanted to watch, and he asked me "have you found that movie yet?" To which I replied "Have you kissed my butt yet?" Then he proved to me we really are compatible by saying "Honey I like to do that when you are asleep so that you don't know about it." That made me laugh for more than one reason. The first reason is it was funny. The idea that he really does like me enough to do that, but he does not want me to know about is just hilarious. The second reason is that I know my great aunt is somewhere smiling that I am lucky enough to be one of those people who could spend 40 or 50 years with the same person, laughing the entire time.

1 comment:

  1. awww, what a sweet post! That is great advice - finding a funny man has worked for me! We've been together almost 15 years now. : )

    ReplyDelete