Monday, October 19, 2009

Solar Panels Volume 2

After weeks and weeks of what I should call negotiations, but was actually badgering I have gotten permission from the city to cut down the very large tree from my backyard. Halleluiah! We are going with a company called the Austin Tree Surgeons. I will let you know how that works out. The fellow we have been working with, Brad, seems like a really nice guy. After the tree comes down, we just need to get the solar panel company, Texas Solar Power, to come for the final estimates, and then put in the applications to the city for installation. I think we might get it done by the end of the year. I am really excited about having a much lower utility bill and I am also excited about being able to do something. When you are working essentially two jobs it is hard to give back to your community. This is an awesome way to do it. You are not only taking yourself out of the pool of those who use energy that has to be produced by some outside source, clean or not, you are actually selling what you do not use to the city. This allows the system to have to work a little less, and alleviates the need for coal or other energy sources, that have a lot of repercussions. We will now be sun farmers. How funny is that? The panels are supposed to last for decades, and are smaller and more efficient than they have ever been. I am really excited about this. This is the first big project we are trying to tackle since we moved into our first home, about a year ago. It makes it feel like ours that we can attach this huge thing to the roof. I will keep you up to date on the demise of the backyard giant.

No comments:

Post a Comment